[Zbrafish] Re: Looking for the mutation of albino zebras from a pet shop

Alfonso Saera Vila via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by alfonsosaera from gmail.com)
Fri Apr 27 07:03:24 EST 2018

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 5:58:17 PM UTC+2, mcima... from icloud.com wrote:
> Dear group
> I am a Spanish vet trying to start a divulgation program with zebras in schools. I am new in zebras world and I am trying to locate the exact mutation of some albino zebras that I bougth in a petshop.
>

>  I bought the fish in a pet shop that you can seen in the images (albino but with back eyes, not like the casper´s ones, just in the pupil)
>

>  IMG_0003.JPG
> ​​
>  trim.07CFB49F-9085-48BC-AABF-1A51D4FD5CD2.MOV
>> Marco Freg, from EZRC kindly indicated me that the mutation involved was
> “slc45a2”
> See: http://zfin.org/search?category=Any&q=slc45a2
>
> ​But, according to ​Wilk et al, the eyes should be red:
>

> Which is also what Paride Antinucci & Robert Hindges report (red eyes:
>

> ​However in this paper of Engueszer et al, seems to have black eyes:
>

> So, what do you think?, do I have a the slc45a2 mutation from the pet shop? or is it a variation?, why my eyes are black?
> I am afraid that the list do not suport images. I can send photos to any one that can help me.
>

> Thank you very much for your help
> Best Regards,
> María Jesús

Hi María Jesús,

I am a Spanish biologist working with fish for more than 15 years, you can send your picture to alfonsosaera arroba hotmail.com

Also, where do you plan to start your divulgation program? If it is in the Barcelona/Tarragona area I might be able to help you.

Best,

Alfonso