[Zbrafish] Two Zebrafish Facility questions

David G. White via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by dgw5079 from u.washington.edu)
Tue Feb 10 14:21:52 EST 2015

Hello Rebecca
1. We had a lot of scrapping and painting in our facilities and never had a problem. On the scrapping part there are sanders etc that have bag filters they create suction and get most of the dust in to the bag. You may also want to cover the immediate work area with plastic. You can get rolls of plastic that are big enough to cover rack and sump all in one piece. With paints make sure you use one with the lowest VOC's (volatile organic compounds) for an extra precaution you could also look at venting the lab fan etc while the paint dries.

2. For the singly housed fish their are several options such as put a time limit on the duration, regularly spawned and housed next other fish tanks as you mentioned. For AAALAC though I would provide one enrichment such as live feed (artemia) or plants. Plastic plants would be very troublesome in several regards but artemia are relatively simple. Live feed would allow the fish to hunt/track down prey items and should be a suitable enhancement. At least I  hope so we have our AAALAC visit later this year.

Good luck, Dave

David G White
Research Coordinator
HSB Zebrafish Labs