[Zbrafish] Two Zebrafish Facility questions

Burdine, Rebecca D. via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by rburdine from Princeton.EDU)
Mon Feb 9 17:02:10 EST 2015

(Also posted on Linked In - so forgive any duplications)

We are getting ready for AAALAC inspection and I have two issues:

1.       Our animal care team wants to do some scraping, prepping and painting of wall areas in our facility.  IN the past I have asked them not to because I am concerned about fumes from the paint.   What do people do when painting needs to take place in their facility?  Am I being too cautious?  Are there precautions to take?

2.       We had a mock inspection to help us identify any issues that might come up with AAALAC. Our inspector was concerned about the fact we house fish singly in 1L tanks.  I pointed out that they can see the fish next to them and will "school" with fish in the nearby tanks.  Plus the fish aren't stressed as they produce embryos.  But I am wondering if others are dealing with this issue?   Should we add plastic plants to the tanks for enrichment?  Are there publications or standard about this we can point to?

Thanks,
Becky

Rebecca D. Burdine, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Washington Road Mof 433
Princeton, NJ 08544

Phone: (609) 258-7515
Fax: (609) 258-1547
Email: rburdine from princeton.edu<mailto:rburdine from princeton.edu>

Admin Assistant: Carolynne Lewis-Arévalo (609) 258-2933
Email: clewis from princeton.edu<mailto:clewis from princeton.edu>