[Zbrafish] Re: collecting blood from zebrafish

sushi24601 from gmail.com via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by sushi24601 from gmail.com)
Thu Feb 20 06:26:47 EST 2014

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:09:46 PM UTC+1, Marie Winandy wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I tried recently to collect blood from adult zebrafish to measure some coagulation parameters, but I failed to obtain more than 6 µl from a big, old female. This was either with MS-222 or ice anesthesia. I collected the blood with a 10µl tip, in the main dorsal blood vessel, after cutting the tail of the anesthetized fish.
>

> Could anyone advice me on how to obtain a larger blood volume (10 to 15 µL would be fine)?
>

> Thank you
>

> Marie Winandy, PhD
> Universite de Liege
>
> Giga zebrafish platform
> http://www.giga.ulg.ac.be/jcms/c_5418/en/giga-zebrafish-facilities

I will be attempting blood collection soon as well, but have no experience with it hands-on. Have you found this method? http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/pr3009226

Also, we remove the eye for our research and a drop of blood always collects quickly in the socket after eye removal, so you may want to try that as another option.

Niki