[Zbrafish] stable isotope labelled zebrafish for proteomics

Iain Young via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by iainstuartyoung from gmail.com)
Fri Aug 9 07:24:00 EST 2013

We have developed a cost effective way of measuring protein expression in zebrafish. We can use a metabolic labelling approach to carry out a quantitative analysis of proteins by mass spectrometry. This is similar to the SILAC (stable isotope labelling of amino acids in cell culture) technique employed in cell culture to follow signalling pathways, post-translational modifications of proteins as well as protein turnover, and which has now been applied in intact organism models including C. elegans, Drosophila and the mouse. We have successfully extended this approach to produce healthy, physiologically normal stable-isotope labelled zebrafish adults and embryos for use in large-scale proteomic experiments. Our technique produces fish with normal (excellent) fecundity. We are now scoping interest in the community for this tool to justify continuing this work. Please could you respond to this post if you would be interested in using this tool (e.g. for following signalling pathways, mapping post-translational modifications of proteins, using protein turnover as a means of determining growth or comparing protein expression after different treatments or exposure to different conditions).