[Zbrafish] Red fluorescent reporters for transgenic fish

Wei Xia via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by xiaw from umbi.umd.edu)
Mon Nov 2 19:19:08 EST 2009

Dear All,
We are wondering about what kinds of red fluorescent reporters are
good for making transgenic zebrafish.
Our gene’s strongest expression occurs around 24hpf by in situ
results. But when we used DsRed as the reporter we could not see any
fluorescence until after 44-48hpf in our transgenic embryos. The
fluorescence was pretty obvious at 24hpf if transient expression was
checked by plasmid injection. So we guess the late detection of DsRed
in these transgenic embryos is not because of the promoter we used is
not complete or something. We thought this is might because of DsRed’s
long maturation half time. We are thinking about using monomeric
mCherry but worry about its low brightness compared to DsRed.
If you have any experiences of making RFP transgenic fish please share
them with us!
Thanks in advance for your testimonies on this.
Wei