[Zbrafish] Re: Sex-Bias & low production

jason.cockington At gmail.com via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by jason.cockington At gmail.com)
Tue Dec 12 18:49:24 EST 2006

Hi judy,

i will be interrested to hear what you find out, as we too have had
fluctuations in lay rates within our facility.

One thing we heard regarding a drop in productivity related to the
presence of a dominant female.  If one female has a very strong
pheremone output, this can cause other females in the system to become
submissive, and as a result stop producing eggs.  I don't know what
your systems' set up is like, but the suggestion we had for solving
this was to change the carbon filter more frequently, thus minimizing
the buildup of the pheremone.  Sadly, we were never able to test this
theory, as our breeding system experiencing the problem is not fitted
with a carbon filter.

As a note, i did find that jumbling the fish up every couple of months
helped keep the fish interrested in mating.  Where i had several tanks
of the same strain, and of about the same age, when i was cleaning the
tanks, i would just take a net full out of each tank and swap it with
one of the other tanks.  the fish always seemed to respond well to
this, although it is not a solution to the problem, we have found it
quite a usefull strategy in managing the brood stock.

as a second method for managing the situation, we have instilled a
resting roster for the fish, where every week, one tank from eah time
point rests.  I am not yet convinced that this has made any significant
difference, but it may be something to condsider.

well, i hope some of this info is helpful, if not, then i hope it was
good to hear that your facility is not the only one that has
experienced drops in production.

best regards,

jason