[Zbrafish] Sex-Bias & low production

Judy Bennett via zbrafish%40net.bio.net (by jbennett At bio.umass.edu)
Mon Dec 11 14:08:43 EST 2006

Hi All,

We've been experiencing decreased egg production in one of our fish
facilities.  It has stalled some experiments and we're looking for ways to
get the fish back on track.  We do use a mass mating system for our WT
lines and those tanks have been producing consistently, although we don't
know how many of the males are doing the fertilization.

I have not seen any problems with our water quality, and two other
facilities using the same feed have been doing fine (ZIRC recipe).  At the
moment I have increased the water exchange, am going to try a new dry feed
and have increased the amount of brine shrimp we feed out (although I'm
worried about overfeeding at the same time).  The PI thinks it correlates
to the female sex bias in the facility- leaving us with fewer males that
may not be potent.  He is interested in bringing in a male bias line to see
if it will help the problem.

-Could bringing in a male-bias line help and/or does anyone have fish they
could possibly send?
-Is there a guideline for the amount of brine shrimp to feed per a certain
number of adult fish
(X mls/1000fish)?
-I also suspect a certain amount of inbreeding, but haven't found any
information about when it could start to affect gonad development/spawning.

Thanks for any help/information you can offer.

Judy Bennett
UMass Amherst