Breeding problems

? ? at aecom.yu.edu
Mon Aug 2 17:27:08 EST 1999

Hi Everyone!

I am new in the zfish-world and my lab has problems breeding
them. We usually set up 10 pairs a day ( different ones for each
day) but the number of couples laying eggs varies immensly so
that there can be anywhere from no eggs to 800 eggs. ( No eggs
happens very often!) Also they might lay within 2 minutes or - and
this happens more often- after several hours. This makes life
difficult for me as I want to microinject the eggs and I am going
crazy watching these fish all day, waiting for eggs. Who had
similar problems and how can one solve them? Or is this normal
and one has to get used to it? We already tried separating " good"
breeders from " bad" ones only to find that the ones that were
"bad"one week turned out to be "good" the next week. Please help
me ( lest I go mad) !

Thanks so much,

Lilian
lschuber at aecom.yu.edu