NASA: Zebrafish in Space

Richard Vogt vogt
Tue Jul 18 13:47:03 EST 1995

The following was sent to me by Ed Goolish of NASA; I said I would pass it on.
I am interested, and I am curious who else might be and whether some effort
might be coordinated.  An earlier announcement was made in January.  The
following text and the earlier announcement are available at:

      http://zebra.sc.edu/nasa.html

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

Follows is message from Goolish:

Date: 17 Jul 1995 17:31:55 U
From: Ed Goolish <Ed_Goolish at qmgate.arc.nasa.gov>
To: Richard Vogt <vogt at biol.scarolina.edu>
Subject: ZEBRAFISH

Dr. Vogt,  . . .  I hope all is going fine.
   You may remember my name from a few months back, when I asked you to post a
message on the Zebrafish Network. Thank you again for that help; I received
about 20 responses.
   I'm following-up on the packet I sent to you for input on experiment ideas
using aquatic organisms in gravitational/radiation research (for the
International Space Station, and Shuttle). Have you received them yet? There
are a lot of enclosures, but please note that the experiment itself requires
only a few sentences. I have sent you a package, not only for your own input,
but I thought also that because of efforts with the network, you would know
many other zebrafish researchers who may be interested.
   The mission of our project is vertebrate developmental biology, with
emphasis on zebrafish as an experimental model. Developmental biology is being
defined VERY broadly; it includes all of biology really. The "sky's the limit"
when it comes to ideas. (Actually, the sky is not even a limit.)  Being able
to manipulate the forces of gravity (and radiation) acting on the fish and
developing embryo opens-up all new areas of research (e.g. egg rotation,
dorsoventral axis determination, mutation rates/selection, neuro-vestibular
development, etc).  I am hoping, that you will circulate the information that
I sent you, and encourage others to participate as well.
    There's no need to spend a lot of time in developing the reference expt
now; it only needs to be a sketch of an hypothesis or experiment as defined in
the enclosed template. There will be many opportunities in the future for
refining the ideas and submitting proposals if you wish to develop things
further.
   Let me know if I can help you as you prepare your reference experiments.
I've enclosed a soft-copy of the form if that is easier for you (Microsoft
Word and "text format"). Again, please encourage any advanced students,
postdocs, or colleagues to submit one (NASA supports a lot of ground-based
research). You can make copies of the form.
  I thank you very much,
          Keep in touch, I will keep you informed of NRAs and AOs as they
become available (if you wish). There should be another this October. I
believe you can contribute in a unique way to this area of work, and I am
looking forward to seeing your reference experiments.

Dr. Edward M. Goolish
Space Station Biological Research Project
ed_goolish at qmgate.arc.nasa.gov
415/604-1961