[Virology] When a Herpes Simplex Virus "dies"

M2 via virology%40net.bio.net (by M2slo2cht from gmail.com)
Tue Aug 4 22:54:48 EST 2009

I'm a layman with a question.
I've been told that a Herpes Simplex Virus dies almost immediately
when it sloughs off the surface of the skin.  But I've also been told
that a virus isn't actually a living organism. So my question is, what
actually happens to HSV when it "dies"?   I've always assumed it's
envelope disintegrates and it simply falls apart and disappears..  Am
I close?
Thanks in advance