[Virology] The emergence of hepatitis C infection - please help

bob via virology%40net.bio.net (by bbx107 from excite.XXXX.com)
Sat Oct 25 21:18:36 EST 2008

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:32:50 -0700 (PDT), biostudent
<mp00010 from surrey.ac.uk> wrote:

>Hi people,
>
>I'm doing a piece of work at university which asks me to explain the
>"emergence of hepatitis C infection and show how human activities have
>contributed to its transmission across the centuries".
>
>Try as I might I cannot find any journals or information about the history
>of hepatitis C except its discovery in 1989, which I already know about. It
>must have been around for centuries in different countries etc...
>
>Can anyone give me any titles of appropriate journals or give me any search
>tips.

It would help if you gave an idea of what you have tried.

So let's start at the beginning. You've searched PubMed for something
like
hepatitis C history
??

The number of hits may be large, so you might choose "reviews".

Of course, you can vary that search. "transmission" might be a good
term.

You know that Hep-C used to be called non-A non-B -- before the C
virus was actually isolated?

I am surprised you can't figure out how it used to be transmitted by
reading recent info, even in textbooks, on how it is now transmitted.

"Emergence" is tricky. Look how hard it has been to figure out how HIV
emerged in humans -- and this is rather recent. You'll need to try to
trace it as best you can, learn about other hosts, and then somehow
suggest a  story.

Some thoughts to start with.

bob