Ebola in Insects

"Rogers, Meghan Lynn UIS Student mroge02s at uis.edu
Thu Nov 6 05:13:01 EST 2003

Sir or Ma'am;

I am currently writing a research paper on the Ebola Virus.  I was wondering
if it is possible for the Ebola virus to be spread by insects? In a study I
read in the Emerging Infectious Diseases journal, in the study they
concluded that fruit bates carry the virus and it does not seem to harm
them.  This led me to wonder if insects could also.  The study was entitled
Experiments inoculation of plants and animals with Ebola virus, volume 2.
So is it possible for insects to carry the Ebola virus, and if so would
mosquitoes and ticks be able to spread the virus to humans?

Thank you for your time

Meghan Rogers
Cap Scholar, UIS