Influenza Molecular weight

A.J.Cann nna at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 03:45:35 EST 2001

In article <124f7f4b.0109180742.2b9bd294 at posting.google.com>, Tom Barr
<mdp96tab at shef.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>        I wonder if any of you could tell me the approximate molecular
> weight of a single influenza A virion.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

Sorry Tom, there ain't no answer.  Influenza is a highly pleiomorphic
virus varying from spherical/ovoid 80-120nm diameter, to long
filamentous particles (up to 2000nm long x 80-120nm diameter):
http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/335/Orthomyxoviruses.html
However... if you want a ridiculously innaccurate answer (i.e. wild
guess) try 1*10^10 - 1*10^12.

Dr Alan J. Cann  PhD,   Department of Microbiology & Immunology,
University of Leicester,  P.O. Box 138,  Medical Sciences Building,
University Road, Leicester LE1 9HN,  UK.

---