Human Virus Question

Jay and Nancy Mone jaymone at paonline.com
Sat May 15 15:58:52 EST 1999

Matthias,
It's not every day I get to teach a rocket scientist!

Many viruses have been shown to cause cancer in humans.  These include
hepatitis B and C viruses, human t cell leukemia virus, and human
papilloma virus, to name the most important.

(1)  Could the cancer be related to a virus which caused the cough
assuming the cough was due to an virus.

I am not, however, familiar with any respiratory virus which is linked to
cancer in humans.  My feeling is that the connection between a cough and
the Ca is not there.

(2)  Assuming the answer to 1) is yes; How long would it take take for
a virus to cause cancer.

Most viruses in human take several years to decades to cause cancer.
This is most likely due to cancer being what is known as a multi-hit
phenomenon.  This means that several things need to happen to the cell
before it becomes malignant.  With the viruses I mentioned above, it
appears that the viral infection doesn't cause cancer directly, but
rather, the infection sets in motuin a series of events which leads the
cell down the path to transformation.  This is why the disease develops
so slowly;  it takes years for all of the events to occur.

3) If one would now from the begiinning that one has a virus of
such a kind, how could one prevent the cancer (or how to kill
the virus).

Unfortunately, there are no cures for any viral infections.  The only
hope is to either prevent infection, or treat the symptoms until the
infection runs it's course.

One more last question
4) If one catches a 'normal' virus which causes a cough how much
time needs the immune system to fight the virus ?

In a normal individual, immune reactivity is seen within 48 hrs..
Indeed, activation of the immune response plays a large role in the
symptoms one gets with viral infections.  Usually, a cold virus comes and
goes in as little as 3-4 days.  this is because that is all the time
needed for a healthy immune system to recognize and fight the infection.

Good luck.

Jay Mone'