Human virus QUESTION

Matthias Rudolph rudolph at cnde.iastate.edu
Sat May 8 20:20:46 EST 1999

Hello could anybody be so kind and help me to get a better
understanding about humen viruses which could cause cancer
in a resporatory section of the human body.

I am an Engineer so i have unfortunately no good understanding
 about virology (actually none :-) ). But it happend that a friend of mine
who had a cough about christmas time (was treated for that)
was recently ( ~ half year later) diagnosed with cancer in the lungs and
bronchien. She got an operation and chemotherapy and is
 now  better. But this incident raised a couple of questions in my mind
1) Could the cancer be related to a virus which caused the cough
   assuming the cough was due to an virus.
2) Assuming the anser to 1) is yes; How long would it take take for
   a virus to cause cancer.
3) If one would now from the begiinning that one has a virus of
  such  a kind, how could one prevent the cancer (or how to kill
  the virus).

One more last question
 4) If one catches a 'normal' virus which causes a cough how much
 time needs the immune system to fight the virus ?

Thanks alot for your help. If you answer me please have in mind
that i am an aerospace engineer ;-) .

Matthias