Hirt Extraction, DNA extraction from a virus?

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Thu May 6 11:06:25 EST 1999

In article <372DCB1E.9D75662 at csulb.edu>,
Jerry Banks  <jbanks2 at csulb.edu> wrote:
>Does anyone have or know where I can find a protocol for extracting DNA
>>From a virus?  I beleive one is called a Hirt extraction or lysis.  Any
>help would be greatly appreciated.

A Hirt extract is simply a way of extracting low molecular-weight DNA from
eukaryotic cells, where "low molecular weight" means under a few hundred
thousand base pairs; in other words, it works well for viruses that don't
integrate into the cell genome.  (It also works well for extracting
apoptotic DNA ladders, not that you asked.)  Essentially it involves an
SDS lysis, protease degradation, high salt precipitation, and usually a
phenol/chloroform step to clean up your DNA.

Most molecular biology protocol books should have a protocol.  Try the Red
Book, or Maniatis.  If you can't find one, let me know and I'll rumamge
through my notebooks.

Ian