Where do we go from here?

brett brett at borcim.wustl.edu
Thu Oct 2 11:16:18 EST 1997

>My feeling? Prions are not alive but viruses are alive.
>
>The essence of life is the replication of coded information. According
>to my understanding of prions, they are proteins which are folded into a
>useless state but they induce like proteins (of the same composition)
>into folding into the same useless state. In prions, mutations affect
>this pseudo-replication. I consider it like a chain of Dominoes. The
>prions do not really replicate, they undergo a chain reaction.

So, they "replicate" their structure? Isn't that "coded information"?
Also, I'd be careful about stating that the cellular Pr forms are "useless",
unless you know something everyone else doesn't, in which case I ask you
to explain the biological importance of the natural Pr protein.

Brett Lindenbach

Washington University - St Louis
brett at borcim.wustl.edu

Marnix L. Bosch, Ph.D.