POLIOVIRUS/Destruction of Variola Stocks a Mistake?

Freistadt, Marion mfreis at lsumc.edu
Thu May 22 13:47:09 EST 1997

Ordinarily, I wouldn't step into the fray, but the contents of these

(1) The forum at 1996 ASV was for scientists. The forum was an information
and discussion section, no more or less than that.  (2) The criteria that
are used to monitor eradication are highly specific and quantitative.
THese are procedures designed and carried out by CDC scientists along with
the WHO, in conjunction with local health officials, around the world.
These methods have been developed and used over many years in many
countries.  They are widely accepted by the virological community and are a
highly reliable measure of local eradication of wild type poliovirus. (3)
A timetable was set for global eradication, which has not been achieved.
HOwever, it will achieved fairly soon after the original target date. (4)
Financial conerns are certainly relevant when making public health
decisions, ie, WHEN TO STOP VACCINATING.  (5) Thoughtful decisions need to
be made (by a combination of policy makers and scientists) about the timing
of stopping vaccination and subsequent possible destruction of laboratory
viruses.  THAT IS WHY scientists are discussing these matters in a somewhat
public format.