virology question

Michel de Lange mdelange at pi
Thu Jan 16 06:39:56 EST 1997

If the virus you mean is Tobacco mosaic tobamovirus (TMV) then you are
dealing with a very persistent virus. This virus can easely survive in
infected dried plant material. The virus is transmitted mechanical. I
would like to know what vegetable crop we are talking about and were
this diagnose of the virus is based on. Even for a trained virologist
it's not always possible to give a good diagnose based on visual
observation. In most cases he will verify his diagnose with Elisa test
or by using tobacco plants. If your vegetable is Tomato or Pepper then
the best way to solve this tobamovirus problem is growing resistant
varieties.

Michel de Lange

Latte  <latte at ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<5aj5uc$jgt at net.bio.net>... > > We have had a problem with a virulent
strain of tobacco virus mosaic > in commercial vegetable growing.A
consultant(not trained in > virology)has told us we need to control
the viral vector, which is > aphids. He postulates that the carrier of
the virus is a native grass > or weed in adjacent areas. He claims
that we don't have to worry about > the virus living in the fields we
farm, because the virus will die > when we plow the fields in the
fall. Therefore crop rotation is > irrelevant in viral control.
Question: could the virus survive in dead > or possibly slow decaying
plants ? Thank you  Rich >