Ebola: a quick question

Nanda Somarajan somarank at SLU.EDU
Mon Apr 28 22:37:59 EST 1997

	The two ideas you suggest about a natural reservoir are only
ideas.  Scientists are still looking for a natural reservoir.
	On the idea of eating infected wild game, the US troops do not
eat such stuff.  They eat their MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat.)  There are
many very isolated tribes in Zaire due to the jungle.  They would be the
main people who would eat the wild game and we don't even hear about
those outbreaks that a isolated deep in the jungle.
	Secondly, Ebola is a relatively new virus.  We started studying
it only in 1976.  Due to the violent nature of it, only a few places in
the world has the capabilites to study it.  This limits how fast we can
find out information about Ebola Virus.  There are still lot of things we
don't know about the virus.
	You would think that the whole nation would be in an outbreak,
but for some reason, it is not.  If we knew more about the Ebola Virus,
then we maybe able to find some type of cure. The virus is still probably
out there somewhere.  It is just hiding now.  It has not gone away.

|                         Nanda Somarajan                                   |
|                 Academic Technology Development Consultant                |
|                 somarank at slu.edu       somarank at hotmail.com               |
|Ebola Info. HQ:       http://www.angelfire.com/ok/nanda/                   |
|Home                  http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/4116/           |