origins of AIDS pandemic?

Brian Foley btf at t10.lanl.gov
Mon Sep 30 15:41:07 EST 1996

daemon at net.bio.net wrote:

> I recently read `The White Death` by Julian Cribb. The author
> suggests that HIV may have entered the human population via
> contaminated polio vaccines (as did SV-40).
> eg.SIVs mutate in infected monkey cell lines (to produce HIV-1
> and HIV-2), humans are vaccinated, in a tiny proportion of
> vaccinees virus in vaccine enters bloodstream via sores in mouth.
>
> Suprisingly, there appears to be substantial evidence to support this
> theory.
>
>  I`d be very interested in hearing your opinions on this theory.
>
> Thanks. Ruth Goldstone.

        I am not sure what the "substantial evidence" is, but
I have not seen it.  If the simian to human transfer did
occur in tissue cultures used to produce the polio vaccine,
it must have been only in a vaccine used in Africa, and
not the rest of the world.
        I was under the impression that the polio vaccine
was created by some United States or European company, and
then distributed around the world.  However, I have no
facts, just a speculation that that would be the case.
        The SIV, HIV-1 and HIV-2 gene sequences seem to
indicate that at least 3 seperate simian to human transmision
events have ocurred.  All 3 seem to have ocurred in central
regions of Africa.

|Brian T. Foley                btf at t10.lanl.gov                      |
|HIV Database                  (505) 665-1970                        |
|Los Alamos National Lab       http://hiv-web.lanl.gov/index.html    |
|Los Alamos, NM 87544  U.S.A.  http://hiv-web.lanl.gov/~btf/home.html|