protein trimers

Edwin ten Dam ebtd1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 26 12:38:14 EST 1996

Jay Evans wrote:

> I am looking for any information (refs) on DNA binding proteins that form
> trimers in solution or when bound to DNA (or RNA).  Any references or
> leads you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jay Evans
> evansj at bcc.orst.edu

The primase-helicase complex from herpes simplex virus is a trimer of
the UL5, 8, and 52 gene products.  I haven't kept up with the literature
over the last few years, but here's a ref that might be useful:

Crute, J.J., Tsurumi, T., Zhu, L., Weller, S.K., Olivo, P.D., Challberg,
M.D., Mocarski, E.S., and Lehman, I.R. (1989). Herpes Simplex Virus i
Helicase-Primase: A Complex of Three Herpes Encoded Gene Products. Proc.
Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86, 2186-2189.

Mark Challberg, Sandra Weller and Nigel Stow's labs have published on
the area since, if you want to look further.

Cheers

Paul

Paul Digard
Division of Virology