sedimentation at 1g...

Robert Coelen robert.coelen at jcu.edu.au
Sun Mar 31 19:04:13 EST 1996

>On 27 Mar 1996, Ed Rybicki wrote:

> I have just seen the results of centrifuging a TMV-U2 and a BSMV
> preparation at 1g for 26 yrs and 11 yrs, respectively...the viruses
> SEDIMENTED!!  There was a beautiful gradient in both cases, of
> uncontaminated and not-obviously-aggregated virus, from crystal clear
> ant the top of a 100 ml medical flat bottle, to thick and milky at
> the bottom - with most of the stuff at the bottom.  I am keeping one
> BSMV bottle untouched; we shook up the rest in the interests of
> scientific inquiry (we were clearing out a coldroom in preparation
> for Barbara von Wechmar's retirement at the end of the year).  BMV
> preparations left the same length of time (spherical, 30 nm, +/-100S)
> are uniformly suspended still - but rod-shaped chaps of 150-300 nm
> and +/-200S sediment beautifully.
>
> A bit long to wait to concentrate virus tho...but so ELEGANT.

Simple logic said that it should be so, but did in the 26 years or so
any earth tremors occur ?  Pulling out my calculator and assuming
30 minutes at 100,000g 's would be enough to pellet the virus I
calculate that at 1 g    this feat could be repeated    in somewhat
less than 6 years ! Would anyone care to set up an experiment ?

Nice going Ed ! Can we expect a write up ?

Cheers,

Robert

Dr Robert J. Coelen                                  fax:   61-77-791 526
Dept of Biomedical and Tropical Veterinary Sciences  phone: 61-77-815 024
James Cook University of North Queensland
Townsville-just-about-on-THE-reef, Q, 4811
                                      o     e
                                       w   d
                                        n n