Prions & BSE

Kevin Woolley kjw1 at stirling.ac.uk
Tue Mar 26 08:55:54 EST 1996

I was a Mol Biol grad student back in the early 80's and I remember
reading the about Scrapie and Prions back then when interest first arose
because of BSE (incidently I've rarely eaten beef since - seemed to me
that there must be a small risk, and why take it?).

The big controvesy then was whether prions were a) the infectious agent
and b) did they contain any DNA/RNA.  Do we know the answers to these
questions yet?

* Kevin Woolley *       WoolleySoft.  Producers of         *
*               *   Landscape Explorer & Visual Explorer   *
*               *  3D Landscape, Satellite image and Map   *
*               *          Visualization software          *
*  Author-Member: Association of Shareware Professionals   *
* email: 100332.2104 at compuserve.com or kjw1 at stirling.ac.uk *
* www:   http://www.stir.ac.uk/~kjw1r/home.html            *