BSE questions

Torsten Brinch iaotb at inet.uni-c.dk
Sat Mar 23 07:14:50 EST 1996

Hi John,

If you don't mind trawling through a lot of words, and you have WWW
access, you may find my BSE metapage useful to reach your own
conclusions. The URL is:

http://inet.uni-c.dk/~iaotb/bse.htm

The metapage carries a lot of links to online info on BSE, prions etc.

Kind regards,

Torsten Brinch

john brooks (jbrooks at peeras.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: I hope these are appropriate questions for this group - having
: trawled through all 10000-plus groups looking for appropriate
: keywords, I ended up with only one candidate!
: I further hope that these issues have not been covered with
: recently.
: Note that whilst reasonably well-informed, I am not a virologist.

: -	wozza prion? Yup, I know it's a protein and presumably
: capable of self-replication, but what about other similarities /
: differences to viruses?

: -	are scrapie and BSE caused by identical prions? if so, why
: are we only panicking about beef? is the cause - effect
: relationship for a prion and BSE fully established?

: -	are cattle susceptible to BSE infection due to the
: inability of their digestive systems to digest proteins? IOW, do
: complete proteins 'leak out' into the blood stream as such, rather
: than being disassembled into amino acids first?

: tia and best regards,
: -jb
: --

: | john brooks    EMail jbrooks at peeras.demon.co.uk