BSE

VANCAMPE at UWYO.EDU VANCAMPE at UWYO.EDU
Thu Mar 21 09:35:40 EST 1996

Dear Anyone:  I seem to receive most of my virology news through NPR these
days.  Yesterday, I heard the tailend of a piece on 10 cases of spongiform
encephalopathy in humans in the UK and concern that they may be related to the
BSE "outbreak" of the 80's.  As you are aware, there were 2 cases of SE in
teenagers reported in the Lancet in 1995 that raised similar suspicions.  There
was nothing in the histories of these individuals to suggest a connection with
the ingestion of beef or sheep products.  Does anyone out there have more
information on the latest cases in humans?  Hana