Hantavirus treatment

bhjelle at unm.edu bhjelle at unm.edu
Tue Mar 19 10:33:59 EST 1996

In article <4ieqkq$dq0 at ecuador.it.earthlink.net>,
 <delaine at earthlink.net> wrote:
>repass at mail.utexas.edu (John) wrote:
>
>>Are there any good reviews on Hantaan virus out there? Or any other
>>related species? I'm looking more for the molecular biology of the
>>viruses, rather than the disease. Thanks. John

See Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology
1991, vol. 169, pg 91. Bunyavirus genome structure
and gene expression.

More recent but less molecular: Critical Reviews in
Clinical Laboratory Sciences 1995, vol 32, p 469.

>I would be very interested in finding out the lastest treatment for
>HPS (Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome). A relative (who had rodents in
>her home) has suddenly developed trouble breathing, (a primary
>symptom) and as this is a very serious, often quickly fatal, disease,
>she is scared. Can anyone help??? Thank you!

There is a ribavirin placebo-controlled trial that
is ongoing at University of New Mexico, University of
Alabama, and University of Utah. It is sponsored by
the NIH. At UNM, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
has been used as a salvage treatment for severely
ill patients with HPS, and has saved two lives.

Brian