CMV latency/persistence

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Mon Mar 18 18:10:42 EST 1996

Anyone out there working on human cytomegalovirus?  I'm writing a review
in which HCMV makes a brief appearance; I want to check a couple of
statements on the viral life cycle.  In particular, is it generally
accepted that the virus enters a latent state in which a very limited
substt of proteins is expressed?  (Just one or two of the IE genes?)
What's the latest on cell type for persistence/latency/productive
infection/whatever?  The literature seems to be all over the place, with a
moderate bias toward bone marrow as a site for latency, but I may well be
missing something.

Ian