A question about in situ hybridization

Paul N Hengen pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Mar 14 17:37:28 EST 1996

Martin Downes (martind at magi.com) wrote:

: I am trying to do in situ hybridization on parrafin embedded
: sections with a viral RNA target. I have used cRNA probes 300
: 900 + 1400 bas and oligo probes. These probes work fine in
: other systems but connot get a positive signal in the above
: system.

: Has anyone else experienced this problem and what did you do?
: Any suggestions would be welcome. Please respond by email.

I don't have alot of experience with this, but I've heard that you
need a really long incubation period. I don't know what conditions
you are using. Maybe you should have a look at this book if you
haven't seen it already.

AUTHOR       Nuovo, Gerard J.
TITLE        PCR in situ hybridization : protocols and applications.
EDITION      2nd ed.
IMPRINT      New York : Raven Press, c1994.
DESCRIPT     ix, 449 p. : ll. ; 26 cm.
ISSN/ISBN    078170183X.

Paul N. Hengen, Ph.D. (pnh at ncifcrf.gov)
National Cancer Institute--FCRDC--Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201 USA
phone:(301) 846-5581 fax:(301) 846-5598