Rabies and Spelunking

Bruce Phillips bap at MED.PITT.EDU
Thu Mar 14 11:47:45 EST 1996

the possibility of contracting rabies virus from aerolosized bat feces, I
have read in more than one source that this is considered to be a very real
mechanism of exposure.  Of course, it is not THAT common and I believe that
only certain bat species harbor the virus.  If I were going caving exploring,
I would check with local health authorities as to the immediate history of
an rabies cases associated with this activity.

	Hope this helps.