moderation

Bob Horton horto005 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed Mar 13 08:37:10 EST 1996

Bob Lansman wrote:

> My impression is that, very recently, the most annoying,
> non-professional postings have been becoming less
> frequent. Perhaps as the Ebola panic becomes an
> historical phenomenon, our discussion group will
> become a less prominant target.  Maybe we could wait
> a bit and see if the trend (if indeed it is one)
> continues.

Its not a trend, just a cycle. They'll be back. And as the
use of the internet by non-academics grows, there will be
more and more of them...

Also, I wouldn't call the Ebola things the most annoying;
some of those folks are genuinely interested in hearing what
the professional virologists think, and it makes sense that
they post here. These things are probably good P.R. for
scientists. It's the milk and anti-vaccine ones that get me.

Maybe we should bounce all those threads to a new group
"bionet.pseudoscience", where the Champions of Reason can do
battle with the Forces of alt.wacko.medicine.

Bob Horton