No cross posts, no moderation

Andrew Dalke dalke at ks.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 11 01:36:44 EST 1996

> I advocate elimination of cross-posting by means of a filter/
> cancelbot/whatever to prevent ANY post with more than one group in the
> "newsgroups" field from appearing in a bionet group.

  I don't agree with that.  There are cases where crossposting to multiple
bionet groups is useful.  For example, when we annouce a new version of our
software we crosspost to bionet.software and bionet.molec-model.  A good
newsreader filters out the multiple instances of the same post, and the reader
only sees one post.

  Granted, these are not serious changes, but that does force me (and others) to
remember to make multiple postings.  It also implies there needs to be feedback
saying why a given post was rejected/ did not appear.  Because Usenet only has
two control mechanisms (moderated and unmoderated), this can only be done
through moderation.

  I wouldn't mind moderation, and in its weakest form, where only blantantly
off broccoli, err, topic posts are elminiated, the hassle to the moderator(s)
should be small.

						Andrew Dalke
						dalke at ks.uiuc.edu