hypothetical treatment

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Mon Mar 11 06:57:26 EST 1996

In article <4i0m92$o7s at dropit.pgh.net>, mirage at pgh.net wrote:

> This is probably off topic but I'm looking into an idea for a science
> fiction story where AIDS and other viral illnesses are treated or
> cured by using a genetically engineered "decoy" cell or protein.
> Does this idea have any merit?  Or how about getting the virus to "misfire"
> and separate from it's protective container in the absence of a host cell.
>
> Henry
> mirage at pgh.net
> http://www2.pgh.net/~mirage

Well, since it's SF...why do not think about a genetically engineered
anti-virus? i.e. a virus theoretically totally harmless to the host, but
that by infecting the CD4 cells (without lytic infection, sort of
latency), keeps producing a protein that makes the cells not-permissive to
HIV infection. Then, this virus will turn out to be a nightmare, causing
tremendous effects...and the story begins.
Sorry for this off-topic answer, just couldn't resist.