Moderation needed.

Robert Horton horton at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Thu Mar 7 18:37:27 EST 1996

Keith Appleyard (kappleyard at dundee.ac.uk) wrote:
: I strongly agree with both this statement and with comments elsewhere
: about misplaced crossposting. If people want to discuss trivia then they
: are quite welcome, indeed encouraged,to do so elsewhere.

Dear BioNetters:

Here are some data points to support my assertion that we would NOT need
moderation if we simply eliminated all cross-posted articles. Note the
Newsgroups from two of the recent Threads That Would Not Die:

Subject: (fwd) Re: Why do humans drink milk? (was BROCCOLIZE the water)

Newsgroups:
misc.health.alternative,sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,
misc.kids,misc.kids.health,alt.activism.children,misc.kids.pregnancy,
alt.folklore.herbs,sci.med.nursing,bionet.virology,bionet.immunology,
sci.med.nutrition

Subject: (fwd) Re: Did Vaccines Eliminate Polio?

Newsgroups:
misc.health.alternative,sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,
misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy,sci.med.nursing,bionet.virology,
bionet.immunology,sci.med.nutrition

If all the followups from all those groups were not sent here by
default, these threads would have precious few messages in them, even if
the pedagogues went to the bother of posting their messages to each
group individually. If you want to hear what the members of
bionet.immunology had to say on a topic, you'd have to read that group,
too. But I'd bet that people interested in both subjects probably read
both groups anyway. (Alternatively, we could filter out any message with
more than two [your favorite number here] entries in the Newsgroups
field, but I vote for enforcing posting to ONE group in BioNet.

-Bob

---
Robert M. Horton
http://134.84.47.3                                       Have a :) day

"Scotty, try flushing the radioactive waste into the ventilation system!"