fever blisters

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Fri Mar 8 11:26:07 EST 1996

[posted and mailed]

In article <4hn13e$cdl at thorn.cc.usm.edu>,
Jennifer Rebecca Criswell <criswell at ocean.st.usm.edu> wrote:
>I have a question about the Herpes Virus and fever blisters.  Is it true
>that an arginine low diet can help to prevent these infections?  I
>recently read an article that pointed to high arginine levels in some
>foods, such as peanuts, as a major factor in the appearance of fever
>blisters.  The article also says that if a persons diet includes enough
>lysine to "offset" the high argigine, fever blisters will not appear.  Is
>all of this true?  I would appreciate any information on this subject.

The low-arginine diet doesn't seem to have been looked at very much in
the literature.

As far as the lysine, it's hard to be sure, but there might be some
effect.  Several trials have seen a moderate effect ([3],[5],[6],[10]),
some have seen none ([4],[7],[11]).  It's worth emphasizing that even the
positive trials didn't see a large improvement - we're talking about a
modest reduction in symptoms and/or frequency of recurrence.

Some of the non-clinical trials also have suggested there might be an
effect (e.g. [1],[2],[9]) but these are very artifical situations that
are of questionable relevance to a natural infection in man.