Ebola Question

ClarenceTam wegfn01 at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 6 04:59:01 EST 1996

Matt Festa <blueboy at primenet.com> wrote:

> Does anyone out there know exactly how many seperate outbreaks of Ebola
> there have been since it first arose?  I can only think of 5 or 6.

That's a pretty good estimate, I think. When it first appeared in 1976
I believe there were two simultaneous outbreaks in Zaire and Sudan.
Another outbreak occurred in Sudan in 1979. Ebola Reston, affecting only
monkeys appeared in 1990 (?). Last year Ebola Zaire re-emerged and there's
been a recent outbreak in Gabon in the last month. (Plus one case in
the Ivory Coast last December.

OB1