ebola and marburg

Don Haut c601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Tue Mar 5 14:41:51 EST 1996

In article <4h8k0a$67n at ghostgum.hunterlink.net.au>, Richard Fauchon
<r.fauchon at hunterlink.net.au> wrote:

> can anyone help me find out ore information about ebola and/or
> Marburg??? And does anyone know for sure if it can or has the ability to
> develope and airborne
> to become an airborne strain??? Thankyou

Ebola and Marburg are both Filoviruses.  Most basic virology text contain
good information about them.  One of the best reviews that I have read
about them is in the Archives of Virology (Suppl.) The Molecular Biology
and Evolution of Filoviruses by Feldman et. al.  I am sorry I do not have
the entire ref. but a quick med line search should find it.

As for the "airborn" thing, that is a subject which has been discussed ad
nauseum in this forum.  If you check the archives, I am certain you will
find more information than you need (or could possibly want!).  The bottom
line is that it is still a contentious issue despite a recent paper which
does indicate that transmission via airisolized dropplets is possible.
Once again, a quick search of med-line will get you all the refs that you
need and you can make the decision for yourself.

Don

Don Haut
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
University of Missouri-Columbia