prions

Craig Weiser cweiser at sloc.net
Mon Mar 4 21:27:58 EST 1996

In article <HUZIL-0203962324470001 at slip115.upanet.uleth.ca>,
HUZIL at upanet.uleth.ca (John Torin Huzil) wrote:

I'm doing research on predicting secondary and tertiary structures of the
PrP protein.  It is difficult to characterize because it is thought to be
a membrane protein, and membrane proteins are difficult to "capture" via
X-ray diffraction, which is our best tool for resolving three dimentional
pictures of proteins.

Stanley B. Prusiner has done extensive work on prions.  try Scientific
American January 1995 page 43, called "The Prion Diseases".  This article
has a picture of what it might look like.

Good luck

Craig