Picorna-induced CPE

Bruce Phillips bap at MED.PITT.EDU
Fri Mar 1 14:04:19 EST 1996

	Because of their usually rapid and dramatic shutdown of host protein
synthesis (i.e., cap-dependent mRNA translation), it is not surprising that
these viruses are cytolytic.  The correlation with CPE and ability to shut
down host cell protein synthesis appears supported by the one Picornavirus
that doesn't shut down the cell and is not cytopathic, viz., hepatitis A
virus (HAV).  However, correlations don't prove anything and one of the
latest vogues concerning viral-induction of CPE has to do with activating
apoptosis events in the infected cell.  I'm not aware of much recent work
in this area and my sense is that we really don't know the precise (or
imprecise) mechanisms governing viral-induced cell destruction.  Interestingly,
it was shown years ago that inhibition of polio RNA synthesis with specific
inhibitors delayed but did not prevent viral CPE.