hemophiliacs with ebola virus

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Thu Jun 27 16:28:35 EST 1996

In article <199606262323.AA00509 at relay.interserv.com>, patrickh at CANDW.LC wrote:

> The subsceptibility of hemophiliacs to ebola virus.  The prevelance and
the rate of transmission among of the virus among hemophiliac patients.
Other factors predisposing a patient to infection.

I think there are not enough epidemiologycal data to support any
conclusion about that. The Ebola outbreaks occurred within a well-defined
and limited area and involved a small number of individuals (from an
epidemiologycal point of view). It is known that transmission can occur
through infected blood, but for sure there is no chance that
hemoderivatives usually taken up routinely by hemophiliacs are infected by
Ebola. Infected people are not going around to donate blood, like could be
the case with hepatitis or HIV. Thus, even if there is any predisposition
of hemophiliacs to get the Ebola virs easier, this cannot be said up to
now. (I wonder...is it important? Why an hemophiliac should have higher
risk to be exposed to Ebola than a normal person in case of an outbreak?).