New Viruses

Michael L. Perdue mperdue at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Fri Jun 21 07:50:51 EST 1996

	 Since it appears this newsgroup is not going to acheive
moderation, even
though several have volunteered, I will take the opportunity to respond
to Mr. Howard before I cancel.  I have a good friend who is an attorney
who is also black.  Having grown up white in rural Mississippi in an
environment which fostered racism, I have been forced all my life to deal
with my own unwanted prejudices and and am acutely aware of how it works.
When I
have conversations regarding race relations with my friend (who heartily
attended the Million Man March), many times I find I try to "defend"
certain actions of some people of my race.  Then he will relate one of a
number of true stories in which he was faced with blatant racism, such as
walking down the street, someone driving seeing him and immediately
Locking the car door.  Or being the only one on an elevator when a white
woman gets on and seeing the fear in her face as she realizes she is
"alone with a black man" and stops the door to retreat.  He's a pretty
good freind, I don't think he makes these things up.  Then I get to read
crap like this on a supposed newsgroup.  As a result of all this my
arguments to defend people like Mr Howard get weaker and weaker.  I would
imagine Mr. Howard that the current rate of attempted zombification and
canibalism is considerably higher among white european males in the US
(see Jeffrey Dahmer), so what does that mean???  IN OTHER WORDS--What's
your point Mr. Howard?  If you have a point why don't you get it out, why
did you pick testosterone and not melanin?  I wonder?!  Best of luck on
your theory, please continue to find all the fragmentary evidence you can
to support it but sometime--- please tell us how all this knowledge is going
to help with understanding or controlling emerging viruses.

Michael L. Perdue, Ph.D.
Athens, Georgia  30605
Ph: 706-546-3435
Fx: 706-546-3161