Flu virus titers, freeze/thawing

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Mon Jul 15 11:19:33 EST 1996

Flu isn't one of the viruses I've worked with, but our lab is going to be
playing with some for a while.  We received a large volume of frozen
virus, which we tossed into our -80 oC freezer while we looked dubiously
at each other.  We need to thaw and aliquot this.  Can anyone tell me:
-how much reduction in titre we can expect from the freeze-thaw?
-how to accurately titrate the stocks, if we need to repeat the titre?
-anything else a novice flu person should know?

We're just going to be using this as targets in cytotoxic T cell assays,
so we don't need to get fancy with it.

Thanks.

Ian