Ebola Followup/ Ebola Airborne?

Hans Andersson hasse at panix.com
Mon Jan 29 17:23:58 EST 1996

In article <9601291622.AA21917 at fiona.umsmed.edu>, yar at umsmed.edu (Ray
Baumann) wrote:

> Will somebody cite the publication that demonstrates that Ebola can be
> transmitted by the airborne route. Monkeys are notorious for throwing
> things, including their feces, at each other, particularly when caged.  This
> seems crucial to these wild speculations about Ebola.
>
> I would like to point out that there is a 100% fatal virus endemic to the
> United States which has a broad host range and infects many animals every
> year.  It is called rabies and a young girl recently died of it in
> Washington (MMWR Sept. 1, 1995, Vol. 44, No. 34). No one seems to be
> speculating that rabies is going to mutate to a form transmissable by
> aerosols.  Certainly, it is not receiving much press time.
>
> It seems self serving of scientists and journalists alike to prey on
> people's fears to get more grant money or to sell more articles.
> PRedictions and speculations are easy to make but hard to prove.
> --------------------------
> Ray Baumann, Ph.D.
> University of Mississippi Medical Center
> Department of Microbiology
> 2500 North State St.
> Jackson MS, 39216
> fax: 601-984-1708
> phone: 601-984-1713
> email: yar at fiona.umsmed.edu
> --------------------------

EBOLA ZAIRE

International Journal of Experimental Pathology, # 76, 227-236

"Lethal experimental infection of rhesus monkeys by aerosolized Ebola virus"
by E. Johnson, N. Jaax, J. White and P. Jahrling, USAMRIID

"The potential of aerogenic infection by Ebola virus was established by
using a head-only exposure aerosol system. Virus containing droplets...
were generated
and administrated into the respiratory tract of rhesus monkeys via
inhalation. Inhalation of viral doses as low as 400 plaque-forming units
of virus caused a rapidly fatal disease in 4-5 days. The illness was
clinically identical to that reported for parenteral virus inoculation,
except for the occurence of subcutaneous and venipuncture site bleeding
and serosanguineous nasal discharge. Immunocytochemistry revealed
cell-associated Ebola virus antigens present in airway epithelium,
alveolar pneumocytes, and macrophages in the lung and pulmonary lymph
nodes; extracellular antigen was present on mucosal surfaces of the nose,
oropharynx and airways. Aggregates of characteristic filamentous virus
were present within type I pneumocytes, macrophages, and air spaces of the
lung by electron microscopy. Demonstration of fatal aerosol transmission
of this virus in monkeys reinforces the importance of taking appropriate
precautions to prevent its potential aerosol transmission to humans."

EBOLA RESTON

EMERGING VIRUSES, Edited by Stephen Morse, Oxford University Press, 1993

"Filoviruses"   C.J.Peters, E.D. Johnssson, P.B. Jahrling, T.G.Ksiazek,
P.E. Rollin, J.White, W. Hall, R. Trotter and N. Jaax

"Laboratory evidence for the extensive presence of virus in pulmonary secretions
and the relentless spread within involved rooms (even in the absence of
needle or syringe use) clearly established the ability of this filovirus
strain to spread from monkey to monkey and even from monkey to man by
droplets and/or small particle aerosols."

--Hans Andersson, NYC
hasse at panix.com