Viruses vs plasmids

Ed Rybicki ED at MOLBIOL.UCT.AC.ZA
Mon Jan 29 02:53:15 EST 1996

Bruce Phillips:
> 	Given recent comments, mine and Ed. Rybicki's. could there by any
> objection to called viroids (or perhaps certain satellite RNAs) RNA plasmids.
> The natural objection, as I see it, is that plasmids are defined as DNA
> molecules.  But in all other attributes, viroids would seem to be the RNA
> equivalent.

They would, wouldn't they...except that they are potentially
pathogenic and offer no or no obvious survival advantage to their
hosts, which means they are much more similar to viruses in thast
respect.

                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | phone: x27-21-650-3265
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  fax: x27-21-650 4023
      7700, South Africa    |
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"