The Hot Zone

Brandon Smith brandon.smith at nrc.ca
Fri Jan 19 15:00:03 EST 1996

EdRegis wrote:

> Joel writes:
>
> >What was scary was that a case of airborne ebola broke out in the US.
> What if it had been fatal in humans?  You would probably not be here to
>
> Are you kidding?  People who had it would be quarantined, and the rest of
> us would avoid them like the plague--as it were.  The first AIDS patients
> were avoided and ostracized like the plague even though they were not
> infectious except by intimate contact.

I thought that the book told of a potential Ebola exposed Monkey worker being sent to a Hospital........not quarantined !!!

It seems to me that if the Ebola Reston virus could have killed Humans as well as it
killed the monkeys and it spread through the hospital by air (as it appeared to do in the monkey house)
Then many many people would have been infected.....Hospital staff, patients their families and so on.

I'm not a virologist but I am in the Molecular biology field. My question is:

How many mutations away is Ebola-x : the Airborn Human killer ??

Or to put it another way:

Take the properties of Ebola-Zaire + Reston et voila !

Cheers,

Brandon Smith
National Research Council of Canada
Ottawa, Ontario

p.s. This is my first posting to this newsgroup .....so please be kind !