moderation needed ?

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Fri Jan 19 11:00:08 EST 1996

In article <DLEM2J.B6x at rockyd.rockefeller.edu>,
Hristo B. Houbaviy <houbavh at skbind.Rockefeller.edu> wrote:

>appear to be needed. Such a newsgroup would absorb all the 'what is a virus/are
>viruses alive/how do we cure Ebola' traffic without wasting bandwidth here and

That assumes that people would post only to sci.virology.  If you look at
bionet.immunology and sci.immunology, there is a fair amount of averlap
between the two - a lot of people seem to assume that they need to post
to both.

>I realize that this would not entirely eliminate all the noise but then
>everybody should learn how to use a kill-file.

This group is available both as a Usenet newsgroup and as an e-mail
list.  You can't use a killfile on e-mail; you can install filters, but
they tend to be a real pain to install properly.  I don't know how many
people receive this as mail and how many on Usenet; even if there are
only a few people getting the mail (and I suspect there are more than a few)
it's unreasonable to recommend kill files as a universal solution.

>Would anyone care to initiate the formal procedure for newsgroup creation?

I think it's premature.  I'd vote against it, as it would simply mean
that I'd subscribe to a new group and see a bunch of posts twice - thus
wasting even more time.

Note that followups are directed off bionet.virology.

Ian

--
                      Ian York   (iayork at panix.com)