moderation needed ?

Hristo B. Houbaviy houbavh at skbind.Rockefeller.edu
Thu Jan 18 20:13:29 EST 1996

In article <marnix-1201960629470001 at fae2xx.biostat.washington.edu> Marnix L. Bosch (marnix at u.washington.edu) wrote:
> This newsgroup has been inundated over the past year or so with threads
> that narrowly border on virology, and have little scientific content. I
> specifically refer to the Ebola madness, and the current debate about
> vaccines and polio. Generally messages in these threads are crossposted to
> 10 or so other newsgroups, where the debate could more appropriately
> belong.

Instead of making a bionet.virology.moderated newsgroup why not create a
newsgroup called sci.virology? After all most of the laymen who've been
posting here have been well meaning and just wanted to learn more about some
popular aspects of virology. In addition many virologists have been happy to
provide answers to those questions. Therefore a sci.virology newsgroup would
appear to be needed. Such a newsgroup would absorb all the 'what is a virus/are
viruses alive/how do we cure Ebola' traffic without wasting bandwidth here and
would provide a forum for those really interested in the above questions.
There are precedents of this type on the UseNet (rec.humor.d comes to mind).

I realize that this would not entirely eliminate all the noise but then
everybody should learn how to use a kill-file.

Would anyone care to initiate the formal procedure for newsgroup creation?

Regards,

Hristo

--
Hristo B. Houbaviy                          Internet:
Broadcasting at 20 meters                   houbavh at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
above the FDR drive.                        houbavh at skbind.rockefeller.edu