Viruses; Genisis and Taxonomy

AJ Boulay aj.boulay at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 18 10:32:21 EST 1996

As a student of biology, I am curious about the replication and
classification of viruses.

I understand that viruses are inert until they infect a host, that they
do not undergo replication or division, etc.

This leads to my question: How then do viruses proliferate? I can see an
infected cell within the host replicating, but is this infected cell
considered a "virus"? With this in mind, can viruses be classified as an
organism at any time in thier life cylce?

Thanx,

AJ