Varmus Nobel: When, what?

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Wed Jan 17 13:06:55 EST 1996

In article <4dj9k1$98s at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, EdRegis <edregis at aol.com> wrote:
>Can anyone tell me in what year virologist Harold Varmus won his Nobel
>prize?  And was it in physiology/medicine or chemistry?

He won it in 1989; it was medicine/physiology, for his work on
oncogenes.

(I didn't know this, I just used the Alta Vista search engine [the best of
the lot, in my opinion] to look up "varmus" and "nobel".  There's a brief
biography of Varmus at
<http://www.gene.com/ae/AB/BC/PP/Harold_Elliot_Varmus.html>,
and a Nobel Prize listing at
<http://www.lib.lsu.edu/sci/chem/guides/srs118.html>.)